Tuesday, September 3, 2013

post-birthday entry

The last time I spent my birthday in Davao was in 2008. I had no plans of going home then. In fact, I had a party in one of the bars along Esguerra the day before my birthday. Friends and co-workers partied with me. Salubong sa birthday ko. And then the morning of my birthday, I got a text from my Nanay. My Tatay was rushed in the ICU because of chest pains. I had to book the earliest flight to Davao. The night of my birthday, I was there in the hospital -- watching my Tatay from the ICU window.

Five years after, I celebrated my birthday in Davao.

Andaming firsts na nangyari sa birthday ko last week.

My first time to spend the eve of my birthday with my high school friends. My first time to party with them. Noong huling birthday ko kasama sila, fourth year high school ako. Kumain kami sa Gaisano at nilibre ko sila ng sine -- Sharon Cuneta movie yun. Nakalimutan ko na ang title (or deliberately ayaw ko alalahanin at ilagay dito dahil malalaman nyo ang year at edad ko).

First time din akong binati ni C. Ever. Through FB nga lang but still... first time! My friends know C seldom posts or "likes" anything on FB. Kaya nagulat ako when C "liked" one of the pictures I posted. Mas nagulat ako when he posted on my timeline to greet me a happy birthday. Simpleng "Happy Birthday No" at sobrang kinilig na ako. At my age! He still has that effect on me...

Another boy made my heart skipped a beat that day -- Sam Milby! At one in the morning, he sent me a text message greeting me a happy birthday. Isa siya sa mga unang bumati sa akin. Sobrang touched ako. Especially when he asked me kelan ako babalik ng Manila (he knew I was in Davao) and he said mag-celebrate kami pagbalik ko.

A few days before my birthday, I was telling Sam "Alam mo bang nahulog ako sa hagdan dahil sa iyo noong nasa PBB ka pa? Na-ER pa ako!" I told him my only dream then was to see him in person. The Universe gave me more than I wished for. 

No comments: